The original house began its life as a shop front dating back to 1881 and is a rare surviving example of a Victorian building with a combined retail and residential building in the Parkville locale.
The shopfront façade had suffered serious damage over time, not least due to tree roots almost splitting it in two causing fears that the property may just crumble into the street.
The interior of the old house hadn’t fared much better. Significant damage to rendered walls, termite damage to large portions of the timber subfloors, and amenities well below current habitable standards made the case for an entire renovation with a strong focus on restoration at its core.
The initial stages focused on stabilizing the structure and all internal walls then progressed to defining the internal spaces. The existing building would become the living quarters while a new extension built directly behind would become a wonderfully light-filled and open, chef’s kitchen. The existing structure was restored with period details while the new extension was designed altogether differently, creating a clear distinction between the old and new. The treatment of these two separate, yet equally important parts of the home were instrumental in retaining the original architectural fabric of the building while supporting the need for new modern amenity in a home of this size.